Create DtDNS Account
This page covers creating an account at DtDNS. Using this account allows you to configure and run the servers from a dynamically allocated IP address.
Creating a DtDNS account
Creating an account at DtDNS is extremely easy.
- Go to DtDNS home page.
- To the right of log in click Create an Account
There are two pages to fill in. Enter the following details:
||This name is used for logging into your account
||Your real name (Internal use)
||A password for logging into your account
||A real active e-mail is required. An activation code is sent to this e-mail address
||Skip the Optional Information section if you don't wish fill it in.
||Two CAPCHA words
||Enter the two CAPCHA words (if these are difficult to read, click the new challenge button)
Note 1: After step 8) you will be redirected to page 2:
Note 2: A confirmation e-mail is sent to your e-mail account set in step 5)
||Enter your Username as entered in 1).
||Enter code sent to your email.
Note 3: The email sent to you contains a link returning you to page 2. After step 8) you can close the page and wait for this email.
Creating a Hostname overview
- A DtDNS account is limited to five free hostnames.
- A hostname is concatenated with a domain name.
- I have listed available domains on the right.
- Your full URL, for example
- If you chose books as hostname
- And select from the drop down menu effers.com
Will look like this:
|Available Free Domain Names
After creating a hostname, wild cards are enabled by default. This allows you to use a URL such as: http://www.books.effers.com
Note: The www. is the wild card part. This can be anything you like; for example:
The host name books.effers.com resolves to your IP address. The wild card can be resolved on your server using Apache Vhosts to create different sites.
To create a new hostname at DtDNS
- Go to Login page
- Enter Username: as set in step 1)
- Enter Password: as set in step 3)
- My Services page displayed
- Click on Hostnames. This opens the Hostname Manager
- Enter a desired Hostname
- From the drop down menu select a Domain
- Click Add Hostname
- Enter the two CAPCHA words (if these are difficult to read, click the new challenge button)
- Click Add Hostname button
- This is added to your list of host names
Manage existing hostnames
To manage existing hostnames, simply click the entry in the list; for example:
Click a hostname link to open its corresponding configuration page. Here you can change various settings, including the IP address.
Note 1: After reconnecting to your service provider you need to login to DtDNS and update the IP address accordingly. Alternatively add the new account to The Uniform Server's builtin updater. See Edit DtDNS Accounts.
Note 2: With the updater configured you can enable Cron to perform automatic updates.
For a home web server the free account at DtDNS is ideal. At least it gives you an opportunity to test their service. Perhaps it will encourage you to purchase a real domain and use some of their paid services.
Where to go next
DtDNS - Introduction